“I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy”. Ernest Hemingway
1. The animals!
Whether it might be ticking off the big five which are Leopard, Lion, Rhinoceros, Elephants or Buffalo. Or whales, dolphins or penguins. Even some of the many bird species. You will be surprised how you get up close and personal!
2 . The wine!
There are 18 official wine and 2 brandy routes. Go and do wonderful tours, tasting and even visit the vineyards. Try the Pinotage, a local variety.
3. The food
Try the local cuisine. Game meat is delicious! Try ostrich, warthog, antelope or for the brave Mopani worms!
4 . Value for money
The exchange rate is certainly in your favor. Enjoy a friendly, English speaking population were a light meal in a restaurant will cost you approximately R75.00, coffee R20,00, Beer R22,00, steak R125,00. This to give you some idea of what a day would cost.
Overall, the Western Cape climate is typically Mediterranean. With warm, dry summers and mild, moist winters and a low summer rainfall prevails. In Gauteng it is the opposite.
What you need to be aware of:
1. There are baboons and monkeys everywhere! They will come after you if they think you have food.
2. If you go on Safari make sure you have the Amarula coffee in the morning
3. You will be up at 4am at least every morning to go on safari, so pack a blanket and some warm clothes. It is cold on both the morning and night game drives.
4. Yes it is a dangerous place and you have to be safe. There is lots of poverty and with poverty there is crime
5. When South African’s say the hike or cycle is intermediate, they really mean advanced. Even the popular Platteklip Gorge on Table Mountain must be respected.
6. Also on offer:
Bungee jumping, hiking, swimming in the ocean, exploring a cave, paragliding, riding on a beach with a horse, skydiving, quad bike riding, shark cage diving